Education• PhD, History, University of Virginia – Charlottesville, August 2013
• B.A., History, with Honors, University of Montana – Missoula, May 2004
ExperienceSubstitute Teacher, School District 5, Flathead County, Montana, January 2012 – June 2013 (classes varied daily)
• Handled disciplinary matters as necessary
• Given latitude by teachers to improvise changes to lesson plans to foster active learning and employed simulations to spur student interest
• Presented learning material, conduct attendance, and display audio/visual aids creatively with Smartboard technology through student-led touch pens and eraser activities
• Prepared detailed reports for teacher use evaluating my effectiveness in classrooms and suggestions for improving the classroom experience
Instructor for High School SAT Preparation, CollegePrep Inc., Burke, Virginia, July 2011 – December 2011
• Taught review of major grammatical concepts on the SAT I and surveyed major historical themes for student success on the SAT II U.S. History subject test
• Engaged students through Socratic method to examine common mistakes made on the SAT Verbal and Writing sections
• Provided detailed feedback on student writing sample for SAT Writing section both grammatical and content-based
• Conducted frequent practice exams to monitor student achievement
HobbiesI enjoy listening to music (while trying to learn the basics of piano), reading, baseball, and having deep, meaningful conversations with friends.
ACT, Literature, Latin 2, Latin 1, PSAT, Reading, Philosophy, IB Theory of Knowledge, IB Philosophy HL, SAT, World Civilization, Geography, IB History HL, AP World History, AP United States History, AP U.S. Government & Politics, American Literature, US History, World History, Writing
Inquire about this tutor
The tutor will respond if they are available/interested.